su command problem

Jerry McAllister jerrymc at clunix.cl.msu.edu
Mon Mar 28 09:05:42 PST 2005

> To whom it may concern:
>
> I am running into an issue using rc.conf to run
> applications at startup.  Specifically, nagios, and
> mysql.  When the system boots, it goes to a command
> prompt at the stage of the boot process when those
> applications would be run and then stops.  If I exit
> out of the prompt, booting continues normally.

Maybe it really traces to the fact that you should not run any
command from rc.conf.   It is not treated as a script.

Rather, rc.conf is merely a list of variable settings that the
startup scripts for various programs read up when they need it.

If you want to run something at startup, put them in /usr/local/etc/rc.d
give them a name ending in .sh and make them executable.
Those scripts will be run in roughly 'sort' order.

> I believe I have traced the problem to the su command
> which is used in the rc.  In attempting to run the
> mysql w/ mysql_enable="YES" in the rc.conf, it su's to
> the mysql account and is supposed to run a command and
> exit.  It su's to mysql OK, but never runs the command
> and exits.  I have attempted this manually and
> received the same results.

You don't want to run mysql in rc.conf, just do the setting
of mysql_enable="YES"  in there and put something like
  mysql-server.sh in /usr/local/etc/rc.d

In fact, the normal mysql install from ports puts the script
there.   You may have to change its permissions to make
it executable.

////jerry