Vinum Problem

Ean Kingston ean at hedron.org
Mon Mar 28 08:15:56 PST 2005

> On Sun, 2005-03-27 at 16:59, Ean Kingston wrote:
>> On March 27, 2005 10:35 am, Robert Slade wrote:
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > I have managed to setup a vinum volume using 2 striped disks, the
>> volume
>> > is created and I can do newfs on it and mount it.
>> >
>> > However, when I set start_vinum="YES" in rc.conf, vinum loads then I
>> get
>> > panic, followed by hanging vnode.
>> >
>> > I'm using 5.3.
>> >
>> > Any pointers please.
>>
>> In 5.3, you need to use gvinum instead of vinum. To do this set
>> start_vinum="NO" in /etc/rc.conf and set geom_vinum_load="YES"
>> in /boot/loader.conf.
>>
>> gvinum will read your vinum configuration just fine so you only need to
>> make
>> the changes I suggested to get it to work.
>>
>> Althought this is documented, it is not what I would call 'well
>> documented'
>> yet.
>
> Ean,
>
> Thank you, that got me further, I appears to have created a new
> /dev/gvinum/test, which seems to the right size, but when I mount it as
> /test, I get not a directory when I try and ls it.

The mount point needs to exist prior to mounting a filesystem so, try
something like this (as root):

mkdir /test
mount /dev/gvinum/test /test
mount | grep test

That last one should produce the following output,

/dev/gvinum/test on /test (ufs, local, soft-updates)

which indicates that you have a mounted filesystem on /test.

> I have tried to find documentation on geom, but that seems to be related
> to mirroring.

Ya, documentation is still being worked on. For basic stuff (like creating
concatinated volumes) you can use the vinum documentation and replace
'vinum' with 'gvinum' when you try things. Using your 'test' filesystem is
a very good idea. Some aspects of vinum still aren't fully implemented in
gvinum.

Remember, if you just created your /test volume. It should be empty. You
did run 'newfs /dev/gvinum/test' after creating it and before mouting it,
right?

--
Ean Kingston
    E-Mail: ean_AT_hedron_DOT_org