su command problem

John Public jhnpublic at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 28 07:33:52 PST 2005

To whom it may concern:

I am running into an issue using rc.conf to run
applications at startup.  Specifically, nagios, and
mysql.  When the system boots, it goes to a command
prompt at the stage of the boot process when those
applications would be run and then stops.  If I exit
out of the prompt, booting continues normally.

I believe I have traced the problem to the su command
which is used in the rc.  In attempting to run the
mysql w/ mysql_enable="YES" in the rc.conf, it su's to
the mysql account and is supposed to run a command and
exit.  It su's to mysql OK, but never runs the command
and exits.  I have attempted this manually and
received the same results.

This system is running FreeBSD 5.3.  I have another
system which uses FreeBSD 5.2.1 and doesn't have this
problem.  I'm not sure if this is a security fix that
has been implemented in 5.3 or if the issue lies
elsewhere.

I have been able to implement a workaround to make
them work by changing their startup scripts to not use
su, but would like to resolve the issue.

I have check the problem reports on the FreeBSD
website and don't see anything that appears to be
related.  I have also google'd this and found nothing.
 I also didn't find anything in the manual.  Any help
would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance.