Anthony's drive issues.Re: ssh password delay

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at toybox.placo.com
Mon Mar 28 01:30:39 PST 2005

owner-freebsd-questions at freebsd.org wrote:
> Ted Mittelstaedt writes:
>
>> But the ahc() driver -is- bug free.  It's not bug free when it's
>> running on modified hardware, but it's fine when it's running with
>> unmodded hardware.
>
> It's also free of bugs if it's never called.

And you are criticizing others for irrelevant comments?

>> Tens of thousands (probably more) of other people run
>> FreeBSD servers for years using aic7880 chipsets without seeing
>> what your seeing.
>
> Even more run Windows without seeing what I'm seeing.

Exactly.  If you ran Windows on your system and it blew up, because of
all those other people running Windows successfully on aic7880 systems
without trouble, woudn't it be obvious to you that it was a hardware
issue?

This goes to show that if you have a large number of people having no
problems running a software package with a particular hardware item -
in this case all the users running FreeBSD on aic7880 controllers -
that when someone comes along with that hardware item and has problems,
that the finger points not to software, but to hardware.

> Someone must be running my machine, since it is mentioned on the 5.3
> compatibility list.

Perhaps they long ago replaced their SCSI disks with a cheaper and a much
higher capacity IDE drive?

Or more likely - they never lost their second Seagate drive like you
did and never had HP send out a Quantum replacement?

>> Clearly, there is something in your hardware that is different from
>> all these other people and that FreeBSD doesn't work with.
>
> Probably.  Sounds like an OS bug to me.

How could it be an OS bug if nobody else is seeing it on normal aic7880
systems?

Ted