Anthony's drive issues.Re: ssh password delay

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at toybox.placo.com
Mon Mar 28 01:30:20 PST 2005

owner-freebsd-questions at freebsd.org wrote:
> Ted Mittelstaedt writes:
>
>> And to test with just one disk on the controller, specifically the
>> Seagate, but also with just the Quantum, to eliminate a possible bad
>> interaction between the disks and to eliminate possible incompatible
>> firmware in either of the disks to that of the Adaptec controller.
>> Since you haven't done that we still don't know if possibly it would
>> work fine with only one of the disks on the chain.
>
> A waste of time without first determining what the messages coming
> from FreeBSD actually meant.

You were already told this.

> Do you always start swapping hardware in and out whenever you see an
> unfamiliar message on the console?

If I was repairing a car, (which I do on occassion) then no.  Why -
because
on an automobile there is sufficient test access points at the junctions
of each subsystem in the vehicle to actually perform real problem
analysis.

For example you see a too lean condition, you can attach a vacuum guage
to a convenient manifold port and see if manifold vacuum at idle is low,
indicating a leak in a vacuum line.  Or you can put an oscilloscope on
the O2 sensor and see if it is tracking the mixture, or if it is just
lifelessly hanging there doing nothing.

But with computer PC hardware, it has been built for 20 years so that
the repair techs do not have any access whatsoever into the logic
circuits.
Gone are the days of front panel switches and LED's indicating the logic
state of the CPU bus.  With the resultant 'toasters' the only kind of
hardware troubleshooting possible is substitution - to replace the
suspected
faulty component or components with known good ones.

>> It would have been an invalid conjecture because while your utility
>> power might be bad, the power your getting from your UPS certainly
>> isn't. I do assume you have this on a UPS, right?
>
> Yes ... but what makes you so sure it's not suddenly defective?

That is simple to check - substitute the problem computer on the UPS
with a known good one.

Ted