Userland "dig/host" for lookups against /etc/hosts?

Emanuel Strobl emanuel.strobl at gmx.net
Sun Mar 27 21:17:30 PST 2005

Dear all,

my testbed lacks of Ethernet Ports so one machine has no connection to my DNS,
no problem, there is something called /etc/hosts I thought.
It works if I ping 'hostname', but how can I find out the IP of 'hostname'
from the command line? dig and host want to contact the DNS server, also
nslookup does, so I think I need a utility which uses the gethostbyname(3)
function. Is there one? Unfortunately I can't write one myself, at least not
in a reasonable amount of time....

Thanks,

-Harry