Jails ....

albi at scii.nl albi at scii.nl
Sun Mar 27 08:51:44 PST 2005

On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 11:23:05 -0500
"Grant Peel" <gpeel at thenetnow.com> wrote:

> It seems to me, that for all the work of scponly shell to be setup,
> why not  just create a simple jail and allow ssh teminal access for
> users?
>
> That having been said, is it possible to set up jails for existing
> users  that include only simple commands, like:
>
> ls
> mkdir
> rmdir
> pico
> rm
> chown
> chmod
>
> if so, are there any guru's who would like to type and explanation and
> step  by step how to here?

i can think of one possible solution for this :

1) you create the jail (see : man jail [with one exception, i prefer a
make world for the host and then use a make installworld for the jails
instead of make world again for the jail])

2) make /bin /sbin /usr/bin /usr/sbin /usr/local/bin /usr/local/sbin
only accessible for root (and users for possible other services) and
set the PATH to include a new dir e.g. /newbin/ which is accessible for
users, and copy the shell (and possible other basic commands) they need
in that dir too