KDE on FreeBSD 5.3

Bachelier Vincent vincent_bachelier at yahoo.fr
Sun Mar 27 00:44:53 PST 2005

Ok, that's simple,
kde is a system which use client - server mode to communicate between each application. it use the hostname to know where to listen and to know where to ask question. Well, if you set a hostname without any real sense, like "vincent" for example, it will try to resolv it, in order to know what is you local ip. Well, I don't know why kde don't use localhost or 127.0.0.1 despite of hostname but is like that. If you don't put your hostname in your hosts file, the resolv could be very long ... and it could failed. But if it exist in hosts file, kde ask it, and the system answer immediatly. The system go on !

ok, see ya
perhaps kde developer could give a better explanation. ciao

--
Vincent Bachelier <vincent_bachelier at yahoo.fr>
Language    : Francais / English
Societ(e/y) : Solintech - http://www.solintech.fr - Serveurs linux

Citation (fortune):

Try to find the real tense of the report you are reading:  Was it done,
is it being done, or is something to be done?  Reports are now written
in four tenses:  past tense, present tense, future tense, and
pretense.  Watch for novel uses of CONGRAM (CONtractor GRAMmer),
defined by the imperfect past, the insufficient present, and the
absolutely perfect future.
		-- Amrom Katz