CVSup questions

Jay O'Brien jayobrien at att.net
Sat Mar 26 23:03:52 PST 2005

Subhro wrote:

> Jay O'Brien wrote:
/snip/

>>I built src-all and ports-all. Now, there is a /usr/ports
>>directory and and lots of directories and files therein. In
>>/usr/ports, I did make fetchindex. It failed. The
>>/usr/ports/Makeindex file was really Makeindex,v. I copied it
>>as Makeindex, and tried make fetchindex again. It showed many
>>errors, finally "fatal errors encountered -- cannot continue".
>>

> You probably used CVS instead of cvsup. CVS, also known as Concurrent
> Version System is a mechanism which allows developers to manage codebase
> on which more than one individual is working simultaneously. When some
> change is made to a file "foo.bar" managed by a CVS, a file called
> "foo.bar,v" is created by the CVS. This file contains all the
> information about what changed and who changed it along with the
> comments which a developer might have provided during updating the file
> "foo.bar". Just to add, using the foo.bar,v file along with foo.bar, any
> version of the file may be created that ever existed.

No, I used cvsup. However, I was idly reading through all of the CVSup
FAQ, and I found my problem. It explained that my supfile didn't have
"tag=." and I knew that it did. Sure enough, a typo. I used a - instead
of an =. It read "tag-.". Now, with it correct, pkg_version works. And
now I understand the ,v indicates RCS files.
/snip/

> Best of Luck and welcome to the wonderful world where most of the things
> are free :-)

Thank you very much, I really appreciate your quick and thoughtful answer.

Jay