A Riddle

em1897 at aol.com em1897 at aol.com
Sat Mar 26 09:36:51 PST 2005

--- Chris <racerx at makeworld.com> wrote:
> em1897 at aol.com wrote:
> > Hmm, I wonder if the lack of performance, or the
> unwanted
> > emails were more heavily weighted in the
> decision?
> >
> > If there was any intelligent life on the list you
> could
> > counter what you call "Trolls" with solid technical
> > arguments. This reminds me of the old bsdi
> > list. A bunch of half-wits who are just happy
> > to belong to something and have other half-wits
> > to correspond with.
> >
> > FreeBSD used to have open discussions between
> > users and developers and it used to be real
> > good. Now it sucks and the developers are
> > detached, off in their own little world. See
> > a pattern?
> >
> > But with a user base from places like gnu-rox.org
> > and makeworld.com, what do you expect I
> > guess?

I don't agree. The spread of disinformation is
like allowing a cancer to go untreated. There
are a lot of people recommending a very poorly
implemented OS because of the propaganda
disseminated here. People's jobs and businesses
are at stake. People waste a tremendous amount
of time (me included) based on the ridiculously
inaccurate comments made by people on this
list.

And like with alchoholism, the first step is
admitting that you have a problem. If you're
going to keep RA-RAing this "effort", then
you are part of the problem. You can make
a person "Angry" by calling him a loser. But
if the shoe fits, it may very well need to
be said to get him off his butt.

As an aside, all of the major web mail providers
default to "top posting". Google (ever hear
of them?) only shows the top N lines of a post.
So if you bottom post, you don't see the message
you want to see
without having to make an effort. So when are
you troglodytes going to climb out of your
1994 hibernations and get with the times?
You may prefer one over the other, but its
hardly a capital offense to do otherwise. Most
of us have evolved out of our unix newsreaders.
Anyone with a brain is using web mail for
mailing lists these days: no more whining
about spam or "wasted bandwidth".