Discrepancy between ps -i -o inblk and figuring numbers by hand

Giorgos Keramidas keramida at ceid.upatras.gr
Fri Mar 25 12:31:05 PST 2005

On 2005-03-25 10:08, Jonathan Stewart <jonstew1983 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> --- Giorgos Keramidas keramida at ceid dot upatras dot gr wrote:
> > So, what you are looking for is a single byte count that increases
> > sequentially for all read() and write() system calls?
>
> Pretty much, yes. To be specific all read() and write() calls for a
> given process.  Even something that counted in 512 byte or UFUFSlocks
> would be useful.

To what end, may I ask?  Per process statistics may include byte counts from a
few thousand threads that read and/or write from a few hundred descriptors.

Even per file descriptor statistics quickly get useless when one considers
that a single byte read may cause the read-ahead of a few thousand bytes or
that a single write may reach the corresponding device several seconds later.