update on the dual-boot and newfs hassles

Gary Kline kline at tao.thought.org
Thu Mar 24 21:44:43 PST 2005

	People,

	I'm almost done with the installation on my test platform.
	The reason newfs was erroring was a WRITE err; I finally
	booted single-user and fsck's /usr, then tried the
	CD sysinstall for the Nth time N >=1, <= 70  :-|
	Everything worked; from there is was a matter of getting
	files in /etc set.

	For sure,  the past few days have been a learning experience.
	Understanding how to partition the 4 slices is a major win.

	I have one question.  Now when I boot I see

	F1: ???
	F2  FreeBSD

	Can anybody tell me what to add to /boot (??) so the loader
	prints "DOS" instead of "???"  If the sysinstall scripts
	recognize NTFS, what's wrong with the loader?

	thanks for the help,

	gary

--
   Gary Kline     kline at thought.org   www.thought.org     Public service Unix