ppp.conf PPPoE Errors

bob at a1poweruser.com bob at a1poweruser.com
Thu Mar 24 20:48:08 PST 2005

You used outdated example for your for ppp.conf.
Try this from http://freebsd.packards-home.net/Free_guide_index.html

PPPoE, ppp.conf statements for DSL connection
Edit the ppp.conf file and add the following so this is all that is
in the file.
Read the comments and do what they say.
cd /etc/ppp/                # move into directory
cp ppp.conf ppp.conf.org    # Save copy of original
ee ppp.conf                 # Edit file add following

####################  start of DSL ppp.conf  ###################
default:

 set log Phase tun             #use to avoid excessive log sizes
 set timeout 0                 # no idle time out, will not
disconnect

dialisp:
 set device PPPoE:XXX          # replace xxx with your NIC device
name
 set authname YOURLOGINNAME    # Replace with your ISP account
username
 set authkey YOURPASSWORD      # Replace with your ISP account
password
 add default HISADDR           # Add a (sticky) default route
(Mandatory)
 enable dns                    # Gets the ISP's DNS IP address &
places them
                               # in resolv.conf for reference by
FBSD box.

###############   End of DSL ppp.conf
#################################

Replace the XXX in the [set device PPPoE:XXX] statement with the
NIC's FBSD interface name. Sometimes it will be necessary to use a
service tag to establish your connection depending on how your ISP
and/or the phone company has its DSL network configured. Service
tags are used to distinguish between different PPPoE servers
attached to a given network. You should have been given any required
service tag information in the documentation provided by your ISP.
If you cannot locate it there, ask your ISP's tech support
personnel. This is the format of the command with the service tag
added:

set device PPPoE:xxxx:service_tag

The xxxx is the FBSD interface name used by PPPoE. The interface
must be UP (IE: enabled). It is only used as a transport, and does
not need to be assigned an IP address. This can be done
automatically at boot time by updating the /etc/rc.conf file. The
format of the statement to add is ifconfig_xxxx=up where xxxx is the
NIC's FBSD interface name used by PPPoE that you specified in the
/etc/ppp/ppp.conf file.

ee /etc/rc.conf          # add following statements
ifconfig_xxxx=up
ifconfig_tun0="DHCP"    # get your ISP assigned IP address

To setup user ppp to dial your ISP automatically at FBSD boot time,
you have to add the following statements to the rc.conf file. The
ddial option means to redial every time the connection to the ISP
gets dropped.
ee /etc/rc.conf
# Activate user ppp auto start at boot time
ppp_enable="YES"             # Start User PPP task
ppp_mode="ddial"             # ddial, auto, background
ppp_profile="dialisp"        # section in ppp.conf to exec

#ppp_nat="YES"               # only if you have LAN behind this PC.