Discrepancy between ps -i -o inblk and figuring numbers by hand

Jonathan Stewart jonstew1983 at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 24 18:58:05 PST 2005

When I run the command ps -u -o inblock on a process reading a
262144000 byte file the highest block count I see is ~2010 but my
filesystem block size is 16384 and 262144000/16384 is 16000 so it seems
to be off by about a factor of 8. I even tried looking through the
source code for the ps command but my C is not good enough for me to
figure it out. Can someone explain or help me figure out what is going
on please.

Jonathan

PS Please CC as I am not currently subscribed to the list.