What's an easy way to replace a drive?

Paul J. Pathiakis pathiaki at pathiaki.com
Thu Mar 24 12:05:11 PST 2005

Hi,

	In the worse case scenario, you want to move a system drive.  (If it's
not a system drive, you get less steps.)

	This is for the NOVICE, I therefore suggest the sysinstall gui to do
the lifting:

(No, I use bsdlabel, fdisk, etc, but this is more simplistic and
generates ease-of-use methodology.)

	1) connect the drive to the system.  (NOTE: if you are trying to do a
system disk and you aren't familiar with bsdlabel, fdisk, etc., connect
a single disk to the machine and boot the distro CD.)

	2) use sysinstall to partition the drive correctly. (Tools are fdisk
and bsdlabel.)  Make sure you write an MBR and/or boot blocks to the
drive.  When creating the partitions, typically, make them look similar
to the original. /, /usr, /var.  (NOTE:  if you have another drive
connected to the system, sysinstall will try to create d: as the first
partition on the new drive when you want it to be a: .  That's why I
suggest keeping only the new drive connected for now.  Getting real
familiar with bsdlabel and fdisk can get you around this as you mature
as a system administrator.)

	3) Write all the changes out to the drive from the partition editor.
It will label the drive partitions and then newfs. (It will prompt you
with:  Are you sure you want to do this now? )

	4)  At this point, you can shutdown and connect the system drive and
bring up the system into single user mode on the initial drive.  Create
mount points like:  /root2, /var2, /usr2 and mount the NEW drives
partitions to them.  Do a: mount -a to make sure all partitons on the
system drive are mounted.

	5) Now, use dump and restore to move everything over.  This will,
typically, be much faster than dd on a non-full drive.  DD has to read
everything.  This method just moves the info on the disk.

	for example:

	cd /root2; dump 0af - / | restore xf -
	change permissions on . ? (or something like it) y <ret>
	cd /var2; dump 0af - /var | restore xf -

	etc.

If you just want a simple method of backing up partitions to a file:
(I use the mount points here for simplicity, /home could be replaced
by /dev/ad0s1f or such.)

cd <partition on new drive>;
dump 0af - /home | gzip > home.dump.gz
dump 0af - /usr | gzip > usr.dump.gz

without gzip...

dump 0af home.dump /home

later to restore,

cd < new location >
gunzip < /<path>/home.dump.gz | restore xf -

without gzip....

restore xf /<path>/home.dump

I tried to make this simple.

P.