mot de passe root

Bob Johnson bob89 at eng.ufl.edu
Thu Mar 24 07:12:58 PST 2005

Peter Risdon wrote:

>On Thu, 2005-03-24 at 08:54 +0100, Josh Ockert wrote:
>

>>I've noticed that nobody responds negatively to questions by Russian
>>speakers, but that French speakers are told not to ask questions here.
>>I don't believe this is a fair response.
>>

>Perhaps, though I'm not sure myself what is said in Russian to them
>whereas I can read the French. But the reply in, I think, Swedish to
>this question in French was a very good indication of what an impossible
>babel this or any other list would be if a single language were not
>declared and respected.
>
>Peter.

When did this become an English-only list?

For years the policy of this list was that you were free to post in any
language you were comfortable with, but with the caveat that you had
the best chance of getting help if you posted in English.  Postings in
other languages were often answered in that language, with an added
pointer to a local support list in that language.

So again, I ask: has that policy changed, or are the xenophobes just
trying to impose their biases on the rest of us?

- Bob