mount_smbfs variable error

John DeStefano john.destefano at gmail.com
Thu Mar 24 06:47:45 PST 2005

On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 23:39:58 -0500, jason henson <jason at ec.rr.com> wrote:
> John DeStefano wrote:
>
> >I get the following error when I try to mount_smbfs a LAN file share
> >as root with 5.3-RELEASE and a GENERIC kernel, both cvsup-ed and
> >compiled this past weekend:
> >/usr/libexec/ld-elf.so.1: mount_smbfs: Undefined symbol "vfsisloadable"
> >
> >I can't find a whole lot of information about this error.  But
> >apparently, "vfsisloadable" is an outdated parameter that should no
> >longer be referenced in the source.
> >
> >The only other reference I found to this error was a kernel that was
> >missing the proper support, but it seemed that a GENERIC kernel would
> >take care of that.
> >
> >Any ideas on how to verify that my system has got whatever mount_smbfs
> >may need to operate properly, or how to remedy the error?
> >
> >Thank you,
> >~John
>
> Did you do a kldstat to see if smbfs.ko is there?  It is no longer in
> GENERIC.

Hi Jason,

I too found that link, which is where I got the idea that
"vfsisloadable" was an outdated parameter, but I saw that loading the
smb_fs module generated an error for that user, so I didn't follow up
on that information.

I'm glad you pointed this out though, as loading the kernel module
works for me.

But without your response, how would I ever have known this?  It's
certainly not mentioned in UPDATING, and the error output was not
helpful.  Where would I have found this information?

Thanks,
~John