HP OfficeJet 6110 support

Paul J. Pathiakis pathiaki at pathiaki.com
Thu Mar 24 06:20:31 PST 2005

Hi,

	I'm having issues with getting an HP all-in-one to do anything but
print.

	I have tried the following:  hpoj, hpijs, sane, etc.

HPOJ doesn't recognize the USB device at all.  (version 0.91_3)  It
looks for libusb and finds it.  However, the ptal-init doesn't see
anything on the USB bus.

	Details:

	FreeBSD 5.3 RELEASE
	i386 platform
	HP OfficeJet 6110 with printer, copier, scanner, fax, ADF
	usbd is running
	libusb 0.1.7 is installed, too.
	sane-backends 1.0.15

I have kernel modules loaded now with the appropriate things in my
kernel for USB support.  (Yes, I have tried the reverse with them in my
kernel and without the modules.)

16    1 0xc23b5000 3000     uscanner.ko
17    1 0xc2404000 3000     ulpt.ko

	I have a GENERIC kernel with all the following:  (I have tried this
with ehci in and out, too)

# USB support
device          ehci
device          uhci            # UHCI PCI->USB interface
device          ohci            # OHCI PCI->USB interface
device          usb             # USB Bus (required)
#device         udbp            # USB Double Bulk Pipe devices
device          ugen            # Generic
device          uhid            # "Human Interface Devices"
device          ukbd            # Keyboard
#device         ulpt            # Printer
device          umass           # Disks/Mass storage - Requires scbus
and da
device          ums             # Mouse
#device         urio            # Diamond Rio 500 MP3 player
#device         uscanner        # Scanners

	usb connection

	As can be seen, the USB bus recognizes the printer and puts it
on /dev/ulpt0.

usbdevs -vvd
Controller /dev/usb0:
addr 1: full speed, self powered, config 1, UHCI root hub(0x0000),
VIA(0x0000), rev 1.00
  uhub0
 port 1 addr 2: full speed, self powered, config 1, OfficeJet 6100
Series(0x2d11), Hewlett-Packard(0x03f0), rev 1.00
   ulpt0
 port 2 powered
Controller /dev/usb1:
addr 1: full speed, self powered, config 1, UHCI root hub(0x0000),
VIA(0x0000), rev 1.00
  uhub1
 port 1 powered
 port 2 addr 2: full speed, self powered, config 1, Generic USB
Hub(0x9254), ALCOR(0x058f), rev 1.00
   uhub2
  port 1 powered
  port 2 powered
  port 3 powered
  port 4 powered

Funky stuff:

	I have unplugged the unit and watched it remove the devices.  Upon
plugging it back in, the usbdevs shows it to be /dev/uscanner0.  Huh?
Is that due to the order of the KLDs?  If so, why did it show up as
ulpt0 in the first place?  (I've also tried this singly with the just
ulpt0 or uscanner.)

	Now, get this, I have an Epson 2500 Stylus Scan that does pretty much
the same functions.  However, this thing recognizes individual devices
for the scanner, for the adf, for the printer, etc.  I thought HP was
supposed to be smart and with a good, intelligent printer.  However,
this doesn't seem to be the case.  The Epson seems pretty
straightforward in comparison...and everything works.

	So, please help.  I'm at a loss.  I can't seem to track this down.

	Thank you,

	Paul Pathiakis

PS - I'm now looking at hplip.  I don't know if it'll do any good,
but...