Compaq/HP Evo d310 - register dump upon booting Install-CD

Ewald Jenisch a at jenisch.at
Thu Mar 24 02:32:12 PST 2005

Hi,

I'm facing a rather severe problem installing 5.4 (or 5.4-Beta):

Hardware:
Compaq/HP Evo d310
latest available BIOS 3.18
HD: 40GB

Problem: When booting from a FreeBSD-Installation CD (either disc1,
bootonly - doesn't really matter) the system immediately crashes when
it comes to the FreeBSD/i386 bootstrap loader. In effect I get a
register dump followed by "BTX halted".

I've already changed/set/reset every possible setting in the BIOS,
changed the harddisk, used another memory - the problem remains the
same. Interestingly this system runs under Windows without any
problems.

BTW, I've tried with 4.11, 5.3 and 5.4-Beta1 - always the same story
:-(

I really can't believe that Windows should be the one and only system
that runs on this Hardware?!

I've taken screenshots (in the purest sense of the word - pictures
taken with a digicam from the crash) - you can find them under:

http://www.jenisch.at/Evo-d310-install-crash/5.3-bootcrash.jpg
and
http://www.jenisch.at/Evo-d310-install-crash/5.4-bootcrash.jpg

So here are my questions:

o) Has anybody else experienced these problems on a Evo d310

o) What can be done against it?

Thanks much in advance for your help!

-ewald