Newbie Java Help

Matt Navarre mnavarre at cox.net
Wed Mar 23 21:57:58 PST 2005

crzdgns1 at starpower.net wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am having trouble installing Java on my computer.  I am
> primarily interested in the virtual machine.  I tried
> following the instructions in the handbook, to no success.
> Most recently I tried installing Blackdown.  Here is what I
> did.  I went to the Ports collection as root and found
> linux-blackdown-jdk1.4.2 and performed make install clean.
> There were no error messages.  That sequence created a
> directory (/usr/local/linux-blackdown-jdk1.4.2).  Next, I
> changed directories (/usr/X11R6/lib/mozilla/plugins) and
> created a symbolic link to libjavaplugins_oji.so (ln -s
> /usr/local/linux-blackdown-jdk1.4.2/jre/plugins/
> i386/mozilla/libjavaplugins_oji.so).  Next, I exited root and
> became user. Then I typed
> %export PATH=/usr/local/linux-blackdown-jdk1.4.2/bin:$PATH
>
> Then I exited all open terminals and restarted Mozilla with
> mozilla, and the following error messages were reported.
>

>>Error: No running window found.
>>LoadPlugin: failed to initialize shared library
>>/usr/X11R6/lib/browser_plugins/ShockwaveFlash_linux.so
>>[/usr/X11R6/lib/browser_plugins/ShockwaveFlash_linux
>>.so: invalid file format]
>>LoadPlugin: failed to initialize shared library
>>/usr/local/linux-blackdown-jd
>>k1.4.2/jre/plugin/i386/mozilla/libjavaplugin_oji.so [Shared
>>object "libdl.so.2" not found, required by
>>"libjavaplugin_oji.so"]

Completely off the top of my head, and assuming you're running a native
FreeBSD version of mozilla, I'd say you need to install the
linux-pluginwrapper port. Both the linux-blackdown JDK and the Flash
plugins that mozilla is whining about are linux shared libs, a FreeBSD
program can't load them without help.

OK,
Matt