5.3 install hangs part way through booting

Paul Waring pwaring at gmail.com
Wed Mar 23 15:40:51 PST 2005

I've been trying to get FreeBSD installed on my laptop for some time
now, but I've always ended up running into the same problem of the
system hanging at boot. At the moment I'm using the 5.3 release CDs
(tried both the boot-only and minimal ones) and I can get to the
"Welcome to BSD!" screen fine. However, when I choose the default
option from there I get some messages scrolling up about it booting
the kernel and detecting some ACPI stuff, but after a few seconds it
gets to this message and then hangs:

uhci0: <Intel 82801DB (ICH4) USB Controller USB-A> port 0xefe0-0xefff
irq 11 at device 29.0 on pci0
uhci0: [GIANT-LOCKED]

I've had a look around on Google but not found anything to do with
this issue or with my laptop (Toshiba Satellite M10 Pro, 1.3Ghz
Centrino with 256Mb RAM). One of the BSD people I know suggested
booting with ACPI disabled, which I tried but this time it hung on the
following message:

pcib1: <PCIBIOS PCI-PCI bridge> at device 1.0 on pci0
pci1: <PCI bus> on pcib1

which is actually less into the booting process than it gets with ACPI
enabled so I don't think this helped very much. Booting in safe mode
also hangs at this point.

I've not been able to find any information elsewhere that sheds light
on this (allthough I could be looking in the wrong places - since I
don't have a clue what is actually wrong I'm probably not using the
right search terms). Windows 2000/XP both work fine, as does every
version of Linux I've tried (the machine dual boots 2000/Ubuntu at the
moment) but I really want to get FreeBSD on it.

Does anyone have any ideas on what could be wrong, or what I should
try to get around the problem?

Thanks in advance.

Paul

--