Firewall questions

Paul Schmehl pauls at utdallas.edu
Wed Mar 23 15:01:41 PST 2005

--On Wednesday, March 23, 2005 09:45:56 PM +0000 RW
<list-freebsd-2004 at morbius.sent.com> wrote:

> Clamav is supposed to be good for filtering windows viruses out of email.
> I  know Fastmail.fm dropped Kaspersky in favour of Clamav, they claimed
> the  updates to be at least as good.

We did some pretty thorough testing of Clamav, uvscan (McAfee) and sophie
(Sophos) side by side on a mail gateway using amavisd.

Clamav was *almost* as good as McAfee and definitely better than Sophos at
detecting viruses.  Clamav beat uvscan hands down on cpu usage and
detection of Phishing scams.

Here's our latest stats - clamav is primary.  uvscan only gets used if
clamav doesn't detect a virus.

These statistics represent data from 2005-03-01 to yesterday
Total detections - 7369
Total phishing scams - 7080
Total viruses - 289
Total McAfee - 23
Total ClamAV - 266

The last two lines are *unique* detections.  Basically what it means is
that clamav missed 23 viruses that uvscan subsequently caught.  So clamav
has a 92.04% virus detection rate so far for the month.  (Updates are
fetched and installed automatically for both scanners.)

When I was keeping separate stats on each, clamav ran about a half a
percent behind uvscan and sophie *never* had an independent detection.  It
also had a much lower detection rate.  (E.g. clamav 94.6, uvscan 95.3,
sophie 91.8)

Paul Schmehl (pauls at utdallas.edu)
Adjunct Information Security Officer
The University of Texas at Dallas