dual-boot troubles; /usr won't mount

Gary Kline kline at tao.thought.org
Wed Mar 23 13:05:08 PST 2005

On Wed, Mar 23, 2005 at 08:05:57PM +0000, RW wrote:
> On Wednesday 23 March 2005 19:28, Gary Kline wrote:
> > >
> > > People normally create a BSD partition table within an FDISK partition,
> > > so / would be on ad0s2a, rather than using all of ad0s2 for a single
> > > filesystem.  Then you can put swap on ad0s2b, and so forth and just use
> > > on FDISK partition, rather than using three...
> >
> > 	How do I use/reach FDISK via the CD installation script?
> > 	I've looked at the kwik way and the Custom (for experts).
> > 	If I use the "Allocate" menu I see the FDISK editor.
> > 	What then?  So far I've simply used "C = Create Slice";
> > 	then in the following menu I've labeled the slices.
> >
> > 	Which option in the screen/editor?  Or how-to FDISK
> > 	ad0s2 any other way?
>
> It's part of the normal, menu-driven, installation process; first you create 1
> slice (primary partition) then you go through to the next stage where you
> carve the slice into partition. The second stage is called labelling, and
> there is a option to lay out the slice automatically. Even if you don't plan
> to use it you should do that to see what the default looks like.

	Yeah, I wound up trying the defaults because my custom creates
	failed.  With thr "auto defaults" newfs works, but I error out
	on /usr.  /usr is large.    So the mount will fail, etc.  (??)
	Maybe a smaller /usr is the trick.

	gary

--
   Gary Kline     kline at thought.org   www.thought.org     Public service Unix