Network Interface Card Setup

Kevin Kinsey kdk at daleco.biz
Wed Mar 23 12:15:17 PST 2005

Dixit, Viraj wrote:

>Hi,
>I have got a mismatch Duplex problem. Can someone confirm these
>commands to use with sysinstall. I want to change various options
>for the network card or where can I find these commands.
>
>*	media 100baseTx mediaopt autoselect
>*	media 100baseTX mediaopt full-duplex
>Thanks,
>VJ

I'm not sure what sysinstall can do there.  Trying
ifconfig(8) on the command line is probably the
better way to go, but I'm not interested in starting
a holy war on the subject.

Take a look at the ifconfig(8) man page, as well
as the manpage for your NIC driver, which should
tell what options to use.

For example, the rl(4) manpage tells me that to set
the first RealTek 8139 on my system to 100 Mbps,
I'd use:

ifconfig rl0 media 100baseTX

Note that you must have root privileges to
reconfigure an interface.

HTH,

Kevin Kinsey