Panic With MPT driver on Opteron System

NMH drumslayer2 at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 23 11:34:41 PST 2005

Hello
 I am having a odd problem I hope someone can help
with.

 I have a TYAN 2882 board with 4 gigs of memory and a
single Opteron 248 Processor. I am using an Infortrend
RAID controller that won't play nice with Adaptec at
320 speeds so I am using an LSI 1030 based PCI-X SCSI
card instead of the built in Adaptec. Hence the mpt
driver. The system is FreeBSD 5.4-PRERELEASE from
March 2nd.

 The system runs very fast but when testing under
somewhat heavy load the system will panic and freeze
with:
 Panic: mpt_get_request: corrupted request free list
(ccb)
 It was also reported that when trying to do a ps auxw
it would sometimes (never happened to me) report that
it was out of inodes. Which is insane.

 A screen capture of the frozen console can be seen
at:

http://pic2.picturetrail.com/VOL965/3391974/6964630/90153559.jpg

 This seems similiar to reports on both FreeBSD and
NetBSD like:

http://mail-index.netbsd.org/netbsd-bugs/2004/03/03/0004.html
 And
http://mail-index.netbsd.org/netbsd-bugs/2004/02/12/0003.html