Step-by-step instructions for MD_ROOT embedded, please?

Nine Forty pm940 at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 23 10:42:03 PST 2005

I am having problems building an embedded kernel +
root filesystem image for FreeBSD-5.3.  I had
previously succeeded on 4.11.

For 4.11 I created a filesystem using vnconfig,
disklabel, newfs, etc. and installed it into the
kernel using write_mfs_in_kernel.  I built a kernel
with MD_ROOT and MD_ROOT_SIZE set to 32M.  I selected
the MD filesystem by setting vfs.root.mountfrom in
/boot/loader.conf.

Following these same steps in 5.3 (except using
mdconfig, and hacking write_mfs_in_kernel (setting
SBOFF to 64K)) the kernel failed to find the
filesystem.  If I let the kernel boot with the disk
filesystem I still can't mount md0 - a valid
filesystem is not found.

I would greatly appreciate a detailed, idiot-proof,
step-by-step literal command list starting with
nothing and ending with a kernel with a working
embedded filesystem.  I don't need the filesystem to
have contents, just to be there and be found... once
the kernel boots with md0 and fails to find
/sbin/init, I can take it from there.

Looking on the mailing list archives and on the web I
get the impression that this is not a common
procedure...  I haven't been able to find instructions
anywhere.

I hope someone can help me.

Regards,
Paul.