audio player (was: ayuda)

Roland Smith rsmith at xs4all.nl
Wed Mar 23 07:46:23 PST 2005

On Tue, Mar 22, 2005 at 02:44:03PM -0600, jose luis wrote:

> hi my name is joseph i saw a command named "play" y want to known if i
> can use it for listen to music

Depends on which port it comes from. If you have the "play" port
installed (use "pkg_info|grep play" to test), it can only play RIFF and
u-law audio files, which is not very usefull. If you have play from the
"sox" port installed (use "pkg_info|grep sox" to test), that should
recognize more formats.

If you are using the X Window System, I would recommend installing
"xmms" from /usr/ports/multimedia/xmms. It can play a lot of audio file
formats, like wav, MP3, ogg and flac, and you can compile playlists etc.

Roland
--
R.F. Smith                           /"\    ASCII Ribbon Campaign
r s m i t h @ x s 4 a l l . n l      \ /    No HTML/RTF in e-mail