PHP / Apache bus error

Peter Risdon peter at circlesquared.com
Tue Mar 22 23:10:18 PST 2005

On Tue, 2005-03-22 at 19:31 -0700, Tom Vilot wrote:
> Peter Risdon wrote:
>
> >>Can you explain why? What is it about 4.11 vs 4.9 with regard to this issue?
> >>

> >Just that it's an up-to-date release.
> >
> >PHP and its extensions do depend on bits of the base system. You are
> >using the very latest ported version, so far as I can see, with an out
> >of date world.
> >

> Okay, I suspect I'm going to have to bite the bullet. I must admit, tho,
> I have some irrational fears about upgrading the core system.
>
> 1. I've never done it before
>
> 2. The server in question is in Texas. I am in Colorado.
>
> 3. I would rather not have to rent KVM and reboot into single user mode
> ... but will if I must ...

You don't _have_ to boot into single user mode. See below.

> (( sigh ))
>
> If I'm going to upgrade the system, does it make sense to just go
> straight to 5.3?

No, this would have some issues that you might be better avoiding right
now. Going to 4.11 should be straightforward. Moving from 4.x to 5.3 is
pretty complicated and a backup/reinstall is a better idea, so you can
take full advantage of changes to the filesystem.

The only time I have ever had a problem with a remote upgrade within the
4.x tree was when _I_ made a mistake. If you follow the handbook
carefully, it should be fine. The procedure ensures you will have
successfully completed the compilation of the base system (world) and
kernel before either is installed.

The only difference from the procedure in the handbook for a remote
upgrade is that you would not boot into single user mode at any point,
obviously, but instead do a normal reboot.

Do read /usr/src/UPDATING, consider what you might need
in /etc/make.conf and understand how mergemaster(8) works before
starting.

Peter.