cannot boot 5.3 after power failure - major bug?

stheg olloydson stheg_olloydson at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 22 22:19:07 PST 2005

it was said:

>>>Well you can try to boot manually it may work. type the
>>>following at the boot prompt
>>>
>>>0:ad(0,a)/boot/loader
>>>OR
>>>0:ad(0,a)/boot/kernel
>>
>>Ooops I guess the last one is 0:ad(0,a)/boot/kernel
>>Sorry
>>

>Oh man I hat keyboard shortcuts. just pasted the wrong one
>again.
>
>0:ad(0,a)/boot/kernel/kernel   Yup this is the one... I hope

Hello,

Thanks for the reply. I had tried that and kept getting the
"invalid format" error. I am puzzled by the fact that I can get
a directory list, but the boot loader thinks the format is
wrong. Also it seems to be looking in /kernel and not
/boot/kernel/.
To work around the Disk 2 problem, I downloaded FreeSBIE and ran
fsck from that. / reports as clean, but the box still does not
boot. /usr and /home report HUGE numbers of uncorrectable errors
and bad blocks. Tonight I am going to run SpinRite on the disk
to see if the power outage really damaged the disk. (If it did,
this will be the first time since the MFM/RLL disk days!)
I will report the result of that test. Right now, I am thinking
a power loss shutdown of 5.3 makes a system unrecoverable, but
more of these tests are required before reaching that
conclusion.

Thanks,

stheg