AMD64 very slow!

Emanuel Strobl emanuel.strobl at gmx.net
Tue Mar 22 21:09:46 PST 2005

Am Mittwoch, 23. März 2005 01:19 schrieb Boris Spirialitious:
> -- Emanuel Strobl <emanuel.strobl at gmx.net> wrote:
>  Am Mittwoch, 23. März 2005 00:38 schrieb Boris
>
> > Spirialitious:
> > > I have opteron 246 system with 2 port intel em
> > > card. We have test bed with about 200Kbs traffic
> > > and we route through 5.3/i386 system. Load is
> > > about 50%.  With same settings, amd64 system run
> > > with 85% load. How could be so slow? What tuning
> > > extra is needed for amd64 kernels?
> >
> > 200kB/s sounds like misconfigured duplex/negotiation
> > mode.
> > But why don't you try FreeBSD 5.4-BETA1? Many
> > performance improvements were
> > achieved and stability is given in the -STABLE
> > branch (BETA1 is a relese of
> > FreeBSD 5-STABLE)
>
> I am sorry, I mean 200Mb/s. It is a controlled stream

Unfortunately that's a not so uncommon result with em and 5.3. There are
tuning methods but they won't give the big kick.

Like mentioned, try 5.4 (BETA1), depending on your employment you'll see
tremendous improvement, I don't have values handy nor can I confirm that for
amd64, but you really wnat to try out, especially if this box isn't
productive yet, which it isn't if I understood correctly.

-Harry