cannot boot 5.3 after power failure - major bug?

stheg olloydson stheg_olloydson at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 22 19:32:42 PST 2005

Hello,

While testing 5.3, I deliberately cut power to the box and
powered up. Much to my surprise, I receive the following error:

error 16 lba
invalid format

FreeBSD/i386 boot
Default: 0:ad(0,a)/kernel
boot:
No /kernel

FreeBSD/i386 boot
Default: 0:ad(0,a)/kernel
boot:

The disk is/was formatted as UFS2 (dangerously dedicated) with
softupdates. If I enter a command, nothing happens:

FreeBSD/i386 boot
Default: 0:ad(0,a)/kernel
boot:fsck -y

FreeBSD/i386 boot
Default: 0:ad(0,a)fsck
boot:

If I enter a question mark, I get a listing of the root
filesystem's contents. (If the disk format were truly unknown,
how is this possible?)
This problem appears to be identical to the one posted by cell
on 3/14/05, so this would seem to be a repeatable problem.
Because this is a test box, I could just flatten it and
reinstall, I would rather do a graceful recovery. Any
suggestions on how to accomplish this would be appreciated.
Note: Any suggestions involving using Release Disc 2 are
problematic. For some reason, the iso will not burn; the process
hangs immediately. I downloaded it from four different sites,
including ftp.freebsd.org with identical results. (The other
three disc images burn correctly.)

Thanks for your time,

stheg