emergent msdosfs problems, errors

Brian M. Kincaid bmk0 at pacbell.net
Tue Mar 22 14:10:24 PST 2005

Hello FreeBSD Collective Consciousness,

I run a dual-boot FreeBSD 6.0-Current/WinXP Pro system. The FreeBSD NTFS
driver can't write files, and can only read files less than 2GB in size,
so I have been using a FAT32 disk (Drive D:) mounted using mount_msdosfs
successfully for several years for file transfer between the FreeBSD and
WinXP "personalities" of my system.

Just recently, after some hardware changes in my machine (new SATA disks
for the FreeBSD personality) and rebuilding of world and kernel, the
MSDOS file system has become unreliable, with directories and files
mixed up, and "find ." broken with various error messages. Also,
fsck_msdosfs complains about bad signatures in the boot block.

After a clean reboot, doing "find ." on the FAT32 disk works without
errors. Running "tar" to try to create a backup of the FAT32 disk fails,
though, and after that "find ." returns errors "find: fts_read: No such
file or directory" and files and directories on the FAT32 disk appear to
be mixed up or corrupted.

In the WinXP world, the FAT32 disk is just fine, thank you.

All this is new behavior, things have been working for several years.

I think the FreeBSD msdosfs driver is failing somehow. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Brian