Anthony's drive issues.Re: ssh password delay

Anthony Atkielski atkielski.anthony at wanadoo.fr
Tue Mar 22 08:50:42 PST 2005

Bart Silverstrim writes:

> Obvious concern is that it is a warning that something's wrong (or not
> set up correctly) and it may fail or cause problems down the road.

Who can tell me _exactly_ what it means?

> Well, is there a way to dump the code from that controller and compare
> it to another one that is known not to be tampered with by the OEM?

I don't know.

> No, but you eliminate the obvious and the easiest-to-fix parts first.

The hardware is neither obvious nor easy to fix.

> Digging through source code and going through debug cycles for legacy
> hardware isn't exactly time well spent by most sane opinions, when the
> fix could be a ten minute swap of a drive or something like that.

If I knew the source code, resolving the problem would probably take
about ten minutes.

> Actually, I think most troubleshooters would get another processor
> first (or check that cooling was adequate to the CPU and memory) if
> that was what fixed it last time.  Next would be memory.  So right off
> the bat you have fans to check, processor, and memory.  None of which
> are the fault of the OS, all very likely culprits.

I replaced the entire machine, except for a few components: the floppy
disk drive, the CD drives, and the original disk (which, oddly enough,
is _not_ the one generating the SATA errors).

> That's an interesting philosophy.  I already posted about Linux
> messaging that the controller was in need of constant resets.  The
> drive was *FAILING*.  NT didn't say anything.  If you like sticking
> your head in a hole then go ahead and comment out the code that give
> the error and all will be well.  Most UNIX people like having
> diagnostic errors in the logs to troubleshoot things.

If you have backups, you'll survive.  It's nice to have warnings, but
not a hundred times a day at 30 pages each.  Nor are warnings much good
when they freeze or crash the system.

> Can you contact whoever the developer is that's in charge of SCSI work?

Isn't that what this list is for?

> Haven't you ever used Knoppix?  It's liveboot.

This machine won't boot from a CD.

> You're telling me you've never heard of it before?

I've heard of it, but this machine won't boot from a CD.

> Did you even look at the link/google searches I sent previously for
> people to ponder over with some critical thinking, the Shatter attack
> and Why I Hate MS pages?

These pages will not resolve my problem.

--
Anthony