Accessing Windows XP Desktop (Home Edition) remotely

Gary Smithe gary.smithe at gmail.com
Tue Mar 22 08:06:20 PST 2005

On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 18:54:38 +0300, Odhiambo Washington
<wash at wananchi.com> wrote:
> Hello dudes,
>
> I have this big curse that I have to access the office computer from
> home. The office PC runs WinXP Home, not Professional.
> I have turned the Internet upside-down trying to get an app that will
> enable me access the goddamn XP desktop, using something like krdesktop,
> from home. Something that can run on the Windows XP and provide me
> access to it's desktop from a FreeBSD box running KDE.
>
> I am sure there is something, but I just can't find it!!
>
> All pointers will be appreciated.
>
> -Wash

I assume you have allowed (on the XP box) remote desktop connections
(system properties) and the XP firewall is turned off.

I've used rdesktop with win2000 systems just fine, so I'm guessing
it's a setting on the XP box.

If you can't get that to work, you can always try VNC.

GS