Mutt & sendmail configuration problems

Giorgos Keramidas keramida at ceid.upatras.gr
Tue Mar 22 03:25:37 PST 2005

On 2005-03-22 11:16, Ulf Magnusson <ulfalizer at gmail.com> wrote:
>On Mon, Mar 21, 2005 at 12:43:19PM +0200, Giorgos Keramidas wrote:
>>On 2005-03-20 14:21, Ulf Magnusson <ulfma629 at student.liu.se> wrote:
>>> [ Question about Sendmail, SMART_HOST and delivery failures like: ]
>>>
>>> %    ----- The following addresses had permanent fatal errors -----
>>> % <ulfma629 at student.liu.se>
>>> %     (reason: 504 <ulf at obygden>: Sender address rejected: need fully-qualified address)
>>
>> [ Description of FEATURE(`genericstable') ]
>
> I switched to Postfix, and after a little twiddling everything works
> fine. I'll just stick with PF until I need some sendmail-specific
> feature.  Anyway, thanks for your help!

It's ok.  As long as you can do what you want, it shouldn't really matter
if you are using Sendmail, Postfix, Exim or whatever.

One good thing about your question has reminded me of a comment a close
friend has made several times: that the Handbook instructions about
SMART_HOST are fine, as long as one uses the -f option of Sendmail in their
.muttrc or a similar way to set the envelope-from address.  But most people
don't know what the difference is between envelope-from and the header-from
address that their mailer sets.

I should really update the Handbook one of these days.  This particular
item has been sitting in my TODO list for months now, waiting a bit of
available time :-)

Since a lot of people may read this thread in the archives of the list and
have similar questions about Sendmail or Postfix, can you post a reply with
a small description of the procedure needed to configure Postfix to do
something similar?  That would be nice to have in the list archives.

Regards,

Giorgos