more info (was Just finished Install)

Gary Smithe gary.smithe at gmail.com
Mon Mar 21 21:03:19 PST 2005

On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 21:05:05 -0500 (EST), Chris Hill
<chris at monochrome.org> wrote:
> On Mon, 21 Mar 2005, Francis Whittington wrote:
>
> >    Sorry if I wasn't clear on my hookup to the internet.
> >                                     ____________(((((WLAN
> >                                     |                     to daughterXP
> > cable                   DI-524
> > modem________wireless____________Main
> >                            router                          XPbox
> >                                    |_____________bsd
> >                                                               box
>
> Hi Francis,
>
> I'm cc'ing the list because that's the etiquette here; hope that's OK
> with you. The idea is that others might benefit from reading the
> discussion.
>
> >     Hope that shows it better.The router connects to the modem. All other
> > connections are through router. Daughter's XP box is on the wireless LAN. my
> > XP box and BSD box are hardwired to router.
>
> Your diagram got a bit mangled in the email, but I get the idea.
>
> > Yes I did use a crossover cable to bsd box because it said router was
> > Auto-MDI/MDI-X. Meaning you can use either straight through or
> > crossover. That would be in windows though I guess.
>
> That auto business is a function of the hardware; it shouldn't matter
> what OS is running on it. If you get a link light, the wiring is good
> (usually). But technically one should use a straight-thru cable from a
> computer to a router, so it might be worth trying.
>
> > So I gess I could try changing that. I did a "ping www.goggle.com" ,
> > so that is the same as being able to ping router
> > (192.168.0.1).....right?
>
> Not really, but if you can get through to the internet then the router
> connection is OK.
>
> > I mean its getting to internet , just not seeing network. Let me add
> > that i can ping bsd box (192.168.0.102) from main WinXP box, but I
> > cannot ping daughter's XP box on the wireless LAN. She is the only one
> > thats on the WLAN. Now...I can ping the routerand the bsd box from her
> > XP box, but I can't ping the main XP box.
>
> So a "pingability" table might look like this:

> >From        BSD   XP   daughter router
>   BSD         -    no    no       yes
>   XP         yes   -     ?        ?
>   daughter   yes   ?     -        yes
>
> > So basically, everyone is on the internet, but the local network at
> > home is a mess.
>
> Bizarre. In your other email you said in part
>
> >   ifconfig -a shows that rl0:
> > inet 192.168.0.102 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 192.168.0.255
> >   Okay, now to winXP box:  ipconfig /all gives us:
> > Ethernet local Area:
> >   ip addy..........................192.168.0.100
> >   subnet mask...................255.255.255.0
> >   default gateway...............192.168.0.1
> >   dhcp server.......................192.168.0.1
> >   DNS servers...................192.168.0.1
> >   and gives the lease dates and all.
>
> ...which all looks OK: non-conflicting IPs, same netmask.
>
> So other than the possible cable issue mentioned above, about all I can
> think of is that maybe you have an IP address conflict after all. I
> notice you gave the BSD box a .102 IP - are you sure the DHCP server
> [...]

Assuming all PCs have Internet access and are in the same address
space, then I would look at a software firewall problem.  That is, if
pinging the XP boxes is a symptom, then I would check to see if there
is a software firewall on them (Windows, Norton, McAfee, etc...)

GS

GS