wow ! 5.3 -> 5.4 ->

Alex D'Elia alex at fan.priv.at
Mon Mar 21 17:16:59 PST 2005

Hi everybody,

* Danny Howard <dannyman at toldme.com> [050321 23:49]:

> Alex D'Elia wrote:
> >
> >before, when the machine was compiling, it was getting
> >at 82 degrees with 100% CPU
> >
> >now, with 100% CPU it gets at maximum 52 degrees.
>
> Totally un-scientific, but I have been watching tempurature the past few
> days with gkrellm.  I thought your report sounded pretty fantastic, so I
> HAD to try it out.  I made world, etc.  And while making world,
> tempurature climbed rapidly to top tempurature of 144.5F.

that was also my reaction. That is why I started to look for a explanation,
but I am sure of it, not because of the software I use to check temperature,
but specially from my hand.

Untill the last update, the system was always getting to such temperatures
as soon as it was compiling for a while ( 5 minutes ).
And the temperature was really high because my hand on the laptop was simply
more hot than it is in these days.
I know its pretty empirical as a proof, but the laptop is not compiling
since 2 days, and still the temperature is now at 52 degrees Celsius,
Before, in the last 3 months, every time I compiled something for longer
than 5 minutes, it reached high temperatures, really high :-0  !!!

> Since booting in to the new world, and running portmanager -u, as well
> as streaming, plenty of work to keep the system quite loaded, it took
> some time to get past 120F, and now seems to top out around ... 142.7F
> it says now.  It took a long time to get past 140F.
>
> It seems that if thre IS a difference, that maybe it takes longer to
> build up heat now?  Ah well . . .
>
> Thanks,
> -danny

I think it hangs with the acpi system, but I cant tell.
I hope at least this that this case may be of help for the community

red d(r)eam(s)on,
alex

--
** acme aka Alex D'Elia