Increasing system message buffer size

Andrew Robinson andrewr at uidaho.edu
Mon Mar 21 15:46:59 PST 2005

Hello FreeBSD Commmunity (again!)

I'm working on a problem that would benefit from verbose logging of the boot process.  Unfortunately my logging is SO verbose that it fills up the available system buffer.  I'm trying to figure out how to change the buffer size.  I'm on 5.3 Stable.

It looks like one way to do it might be to recompile the kernel, with

options		MSGBUF_SIZE=65536

set.  Is that the best way?  If so, what is the default size of the buffer?  I checked NOTES in /usr/src/sys/i386/conf but couldn't find any reference to it.

I'd really appreciate any advice.  Thanks!

Andrew