Mutt & sendmail configuration problems

Giorgos Keramidas keramida at ceid.upatras.gr
Mon Mar 21 02:43:23 PST 2005

On 2005-03-20 14:21, Ulf Magnusson <ulfma629 at student.liu.se> wrote:
> I'm trying to set up sendmail to route outgoing mail to an external
> SMTP server. I need this for Mutt, which doesn't have its own means of
> transfering mail and relies on whatever MTA the system provides. I
> found out about sendmail's SMARTHOST capability and added this line to
> my <host>.mc configuration file (built by 'cd /etc/mail && make &&
> make install'):
>
> define(`SMART_HOST', `smtp.liu.se')
>
> I then installed the changes with 'make && make install && make
> restart'. Now, whenever I try to send mail from Mutt, I get back the
> following failure notice:
>
> % Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2005 13:33:21 +0100 (CET)
> % From: Mail Delivery Subsystem <MAILER-DAEMON>
> % To: <ulf at obygden>
> % Subject: Returned mail: see transcript for details
> % Auto-Submitted: auto-generated (failure)
> %
> % [-- Bilaga #1 --]
> % [-- Typ: text/plain, Kodning: 7bit, Storlek: 0,5K --]
> %
> % The original message was received at Sun, 20 Mar 2005 13:33:20 +0100 (CET)
> % from localhost [127.0.0.1]
> %
> %    ----- The following addresses had permanent fatal errors -----
> % <ulfma629 at student.liu.se>
> %     (reason: 504 <ulf at obygden>: Sender address rejected: need fully-qualified address)

E-mail messages send by your local Sendmail have an envelope-from
address of <ulf at obygden>.  The remote MTA that receives the message
knows nothing about the machine called ``obygden'' and rejects the
message.

One way to make this work is to use address-rewriting:

1. Start by adding the following to your ``/etc/mail/obygden.mc'' file:

	FEATURE(masquerade_envelope)
	FEATURE(generics_entire_domain)
	FEATURE(genericstable, `hash -o /etc/mail/genericstable')
	GENERICS_DOMAIN(`localdomain.net')

   Where ``localdomain.net'' is the local domain of ``obygden''.

2. Then in a file called ``genericstable'' in /etc/mail, put the
   following:

	ulf at obygden			ulfma629 at student.liu.se
	ulf at obygden.localdomain.net	ulfma629 at student.liu.se

3. Build a genericstable.db file and rebuild sendmail.cf:

	# cd /etc/mail
	# make
	# make install

4. Restart Sendmail:

	# cd /etc/mail
	# make restart

You should be set to go.  Now the addresses the user ``ulf'' uses
locally will be rewritten by Sendmail to real addresses on their way out
and the receiving SMART_HOST/MTA will be happy to forward the messages
to their destination.

- Giorgos