Ebay Phishing

Warren Block wblock at wonkity.com
Sun Mar 20 08:55:09 PST 2005

On Sun, 20 Mar 2005, Robert Slade wrote:

> Is it just me, but I've had 2 Ebay Phishing e-mails to this e-mail
> address that I only use for this mail list. Both mails where from
> Comcast users !!

Mail to this list is reposted on the web and through multiple
mail-to-news gateways.  So your address was likely harvested.

As to Comcast, it's a multitude of Windows users on high-speed
connections, many of them running infected machines that are
broadcasting viruses and spam.

If you have your own mailserver, most of this can be rejected by using
greylisting or by rejecting mail from dynamic Comcast IP addresses,
while still allowing mail coming from Comcast's mail servers.