MS Exchange server on FreeBSD?

Mike Jeays Mike.Jeays at rogers.com
Sat Mar 19 16:51:13 PST 2005

On Sat, 2005-03-19 at 16:22, Anthony Atkielski wrote:
> Christian Tischler writes:
>
> > Actually the number of users will be quite small, and bandwidth is not
> > an consideration.
>
> For small installations, I don't think Exchange is really
> cost-effective.  It's quite a monster.  Easy to justify in a large
> organization where all IT projects are monsters, anyway, but expensive
> overkill in a small organization.  Just set up standard SMTP/POP servers
> and go with that.

> Calendars and the like can be managed just by having
> employees talk to each other (in person, on the phone, or by e-mail).

I have to disagree with this!  In my organization, a government
department with about 6,000 staff, the ability to schedule meetings and
book conference rooms has become an essential part of our computing
infrastructure.  Any attempt to remove these features or reduce their
functionality from that provided by Outlook/Exchange would be met with
considerable hostility and the permanent sidelining of he/she who
proposed it.  A definite career-limiting move.

It is a major reason why we can't go to a fully open source desktop.