aac support

Marc Espie espie at nerim.net
Sat Mar 19 16:18:24 PST 2005

On Sat, Mar 19, 2005 at 12:38:48PM -0700, Scott Long wrote:
> Oh boo hoo.  You never contacted me.  Others in that past have.  No, I
> can't now and never could before give out docs, but I've always been
> happy to help, review code, point out bugs, etc.  Ask the BSD/OS guys,
> ask the OSDL guys, on and on and on.  And as for trying to expose my
> evil conspriarcy against OpenBSD via Doug, you might want to leave
> him out of it.  If you have questions, ask them and I'll do my best to
> answer them.  Otherwise, stop crying that no one will help you.

Information is power.

You control that information. You signed an NDA, and Adaptec gave you the
documentation. Stuff you can't share.  Why can't you share it ? Because
you signed the NDA.

But that's not the point.

I'm sure you love it that people have to come to you, and that you can
play at being the old (senile?) wise guy on the mountain who will educate
the young coder, and show him the error of his ways `no, young one, you
see (whack on the head), that's not how you write code for this card.'

And so it goes. So, you're quite happy in the current situation, because
you think you have relevance.

Apart from that, you might be someone quite nice. I don't know, I don't
care.

I don't see why you should wield that kind of power over me.
I don't see why I should have to trust you if you say `this code is good'.

Heck, I don't even know you.

Which is a very good reason for me to want OpenBSD to have the
actual documentation.

See, Theo is definitely not  the nicest person in the world.

But I know him.

And I trust him, and my fellow OpenBSD developers, to write correct code
from the documentation.

NDA crap ? yeah right. It makes practical sense. I see enough economical
practical CRAP sense at work. I don't want it to invade the world of
Truely Free Software.   I hate NDIS, I hate nvidia binary drivers. I hate
NDA.  They're a really bad compromise, as most users WON'T CARE, and so the
vendors can go on writing crappy binary drivers and pushing Windows.