aac support

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at toybox.placo.com
Sat Mar 19 13:53:26 PST 2005

Bob,

  Your missing something.  One of the big reasons the companies
want to have NDA's and binary-only drivers is because they know that
a binary driver may break with future versions of the OS.

  So eventually the new version of FreeBSD will have some internal
change that breaks AAC support, and the developer that had the NDA
for AAC support won't be around any longer, and that card will then
become worthless.

  And so then the userbase has to go buy a new card.  And the cycle
repeats all over again.

  How many people have basements full of boxes of perfectly good hardware
peripherals that work just a good as the brand new peripherals, but they
can't use because the manufacturer didn't release drivers for the new
OSes?

Ted