just finished install

Chris Hill chris at monochrome.org
Sat Mar 19 12:21:47 PST 2005

On Sat, 19 Mar 2005, Francis Whittington wrote:

>    My main computer is WinXP (because the rest of the family uses it).
> It is connected to Adelphia cable modem via a D-Link, DI-524 wireless
> router. My Daughter is connected to internet via the WLAN. My freeBSD
> box is connected to modem via a crossover cable. bsd box has 96MB of
> RAM, Riva-TNT 16MB videocard on a intel 440 EX MoBo.
>    I was going to use the bsd box as a router/firewall, but i don't
> know enough yet...so it is just a stand alone station. My problem
> right now is that I want to be able to see the rest of the network
> from the bsd box. I cannot ping the other 2 machines. And without X, I
> am not sure what to use to see if I am hitting internet with it.

OK, first of all this is two separate issues. I wouldn't worry about X
just yet; first let's make sure you have connectivity.

If you can't ping your internal Windows boxes, there is probably
something wrong with your BSD machine's IP configuration. What does the
BSD box say when you type

   ifconfig -a

on the command line? ...and for comparison, what does the Windows box
say when you type

   ipconfig /all

on its command line? If the D-Link is acting as a gateway and NAT (which
I'm assuming even though you didn't say so), and set to its defaults,
you should see 192.168.0.x IP addresses on both machines (where x is a
different number on the two machines). You also need to make sure all
the machines (computers and D-Link) have the same netmask configured;
this will almost certainly be 255.255.255.0. If the IP and/or netmask
are wrong, you can fix it using the ifconfig command (man ifconfig).
Once you have it figured out, put your changes in /etc/rc.conf so they
will stay correct next time the machine boots.

Also, are you able to ping the D-Link? Its default IP is 192.168.0.1,
IIRC.

HTH...

Chris Hill               chris at monochrome.org
**                     [ Busy Expunging <|> ]