Adaptec AAC raid support

Charles Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Sat Mar 19 12:20:10 PST 2005

On Mar 19, 2005, at 2:39 PM, Theo de Raadt wrote:
[ ... ]

Sigh.  Theo, there are lots of ways of interacting with other people:
if you go out of your way to antagonize somebody, the result is
generally not going to be positive.  I think Scott is mature enough to
continue to help other BSD projects-- including OpenBSD-- regardless,
but this sort of thing:

> Those controllers will not be supported in OpenBSD 3.7 in May.  If
> Adaptec wishes them to be supported in a future release, they had
> better come and make amends.  We are sick of supporting the hardware
> of vendors who shit on their customers via us.  Maybe they can repair
> this horrid situation enough that we will once again support their
> controllers by the time OpenBSD 3.8 ships in November.

...deliberately breaking OpenBSD's support for Adaptec hardware as some
sort of ultimatum is a childish and self-destructive action.  I hope
the other OpenBSD committers veto any such action as being
counterproductive and harmful to your users.

Otherwise, you're likely to discover that most people choose to run an
OS which works with the hardware they have, rather than sticking with
OpenBSD.

--
-Chuck