aac support

Theo de Raadt deraadt at cvs.openbsd.org
Sat Mar 19 11:36:56 PST 2005

To make it easier for people to find Scott Long's post to
osnews.com here it is in full:

---

Direct comment link 	 From a BSD and former Adaptec person...
 By Scott (IP: ---.samsco.org) - Posted on 2005-03-19 19:02:37

I don't know if it's better to post this here or onto the openbsd-misc
list, but anyways....

First, Theo is full of crap. I'll say that again: Theo is full of
crap. I don't think that he's actually interested in making the AAC
cards work. Instead, I think that he's interested in stirring
controversy, petty bullying, and silly 'freedom' tripe.

I worked at Adaptec for almost five years, until last year. I worked
on the FreeBSD (and Linux) AAC driver, and I ported the AAC management
CLI to FreeBSD. It's available right now in the FreeBSD ports tree. I
also added the proper shims to the driver so that the Linux AACCLI
would work under emulation. The fact that I did these things is pretty
well known in the BSD community; several other projects have contacted
me over the years for help and information about AAC. But during the
time the Theo claims that he's cared about AAC, he NEVER ONCE
CONTACTED ME! If he had come to me before I left and asked for help on
making all of this AAC stuff work on OpenBSD, I would have been happy
to help him. Heck, I might have even ported the AACCLI for him on my
own.

Unfortuntely, Theo chose to ignore resources that would have helped
him, and instead chose his normal super-confrontational antics. I have
to commend Doug Richardson (one of the nicest men I've ever worked
with, BTW) for his very appropriate response. If Adaptec provides an
open SDK later this year, good for them, but it certainly is not due
to Theo.

Theo could have had AACCLI support years ago, but chose not to. I hope
he removes the driver from the tree. That would really teach everyone
how mature and 'right' he is.

Scott Long