just finished install

Francis Whittington fewjr at adelphia.net
Sat Mar 19 09:32:44 PST 2005

Hello All,
    I just finished installing fbsd for the 8th time. I just want to get it up and running so I can start learning to use it . I have not gotten X to work yet on the bsd box yet....except when I used an old 4MB card. But X was too slow. Here is my setup now:
    My main computer is WinXP (because the rest of the family uses it). It is connected to Adelphia cable modem via a D-Link, DI-524 wireless router. My Daughter is connected to internet via the WLAN. My freeBSD box is connected to modem via a crossover cable. bsd box has 96MB of RAM, Riva-TNT 16MB videocard on a intel 440 EX MoBo.
    I was going to use the bsd box as a router/firewall, but i don't know enough yet...so it is just a stand alone station. My problem right now is that I want to be able to see the rest of the network from the bsd box. I cannot ping the other 2 machines. And without X, I am not sure what to use to see if I am hitting internet with it. Yeah...I know i'm a newbie.
                                                        any thoughts