How to set environment variable for a port daemon?

Kevin Kinsey kdk at daleco.biz
Sat Mar 19 07:08:10 PST 2005

Doug Lee wrote:

>SpamAssassin now recommends an environment variable setting like
>"export LANG=en_US" be made when unicode support is not needed, for
>performance reasons, as of the migration to Perl 5.8, which uses
>unicode by default at some expense to SpamAssassin's performance.  I'm
>trying to figure out the best way to make that setting apply to spamd,
>the SpamAssassin daemon.  From my read of docs and my scan of
>/usr/local/etc/rc.subr, I don't think throwing the setting into
>spamd_flags in /etc/rc.conf will work; that would look like this:
>
>spamd_flags="LANG=en_US -c -d -m 3 -r /var/run/spamd.pid"
>
>but I'm hoping either I'm wrong or there's a similarly easy solution.
>
>Reason for interest:  I'm running SpamAssassin on an old P166, and as
>of my latest port upgrade, its performance dropped dramatically, and
>it actually began interfering with day-to-day activities on this old
>box.  I'm hoping the unicode evasion will help with that, though I
>don't know how likely this is.

Hmm, I'm not into rc scripts much, a dunno about the rc.conf
flags question.

An alternative, nasty hack/kluge that comes to mind might be
to disable the rc script and start spamd from cron with the
"@reboot" target, where you could specify your environment
vars on the command line <?>

I dunno if that might mess stuff up, in terms of either
startup order nor what would happen at shutdown, though.

Like I said, it's kind of a nasty hack.  But I'm pretty good
at those, it seems.

Good luck.

Kevin Kinsey