MS Exchange server on FreeBSD?

Christian Tischler mail at myunix.net
Sat Mar 19 04:28:01 PST 2005

Anthony Atkielski wrote:

>Christian Tischler writes:
>

>>Thanks for all the replies. I will take a look at the, more or less,
>>open  solutions. I never intended to use the MS exchange as my primary
>>mail server. But its functionality for syncinig calenders, documents and
>>so on, seemed to a "nice" "simple" way of dealing with my situation
>>here. I have to admit, that I never used a windows server, and thought
>>it should be fairly easy. Now by looking at your submissions, and the
>>docs, which tend to give me headaches, I realize that an Free BSD
>>solution must be found to get the job done.
>>

>If you are running a large organization and you need the type of
>functionality Exchange provides, Exchange is still likely to be the best
>choice.  It's expensive, but you get what you pay for.  Conversely,
>though, if you aren't going to use all the advanced features it
>provides, you're throwing money out the window if you buy it.
>
>The complexity also implies lots and lots of high-performance hardware
>and a substantial load on sysadmins, too (actually, if you have
>Exchange, you should have one or more dedicated mail administrators--the
>workload tends to be too much for sysadmins, once you are using all the
>product's features).
>
>Note that Exchange is strongly contraindicated in networked environments
>with low-speed connections between nodes (anything less than 1 Mbps
>these days, I'd say). Even client connections need to be really fast if
>the clients are using the full feature set.

Actually the number of users will be quite small, and bandwidth is not
an consideration.
The first set up will not occur in an productive environment. Currently
we are trying to find a solution that will fit our future demands.
I am very grateful for every bit of information I can get my hands on.

Christian