Permissions for Linux apps via LDAP

Michael Collette metrol.net at gmail.com
Fri Mar 18 17:32:37 PST 2005

I now have 2 different Linux applications that refuse to start because
getpwuid_r() won't return a user ID.  Both acroread7 and realplayer
are dead in the water for me.

I'm using pam_ldap authentication, which works great for all my native
FreeBSD apps.  How do I get the Linux apps to perform a similar lookup
now?  I'm not seeing any pam_ldap or nss_ldap linux ports, which would
seem to mean that simply changing the nsswitch.conf file in the
/compat/linux area won't do me much good.

I could live without realplayer working, but acroread is a pretty
critical application for my end users.  It also looks like this will
be a growing trend for Linux applications in the future.  Do we need
to port new Linux pam modules into play, or is there some simpler
method for fixing this?

Thanks,
--
"When you come to a fork in the road....Take it"
- Yogi Berra